Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Son on Social Security disability. He has not paid taxes…

Customer Question
Son on Social Security...

Son on Social Security disability. He has not paid taxes since 2005 when the disability started. He is now married to a Filipino woman, has a child, and is trying to get them to USA. His disability income is now $1070 mo. The embassy in Phil. wants a copy of his taxes. Have none. Help!

Accountant's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. We were told he did not have to pay taxes.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A letter is needed from IRS explaining situation.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
8/25/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your son needs a Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS because he is not required to file a tax return.

Your son will use Form 4506-T to request this letter from the IRS.

The following link contains information as well as a link to Form 4506-T:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-return-transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-4506t

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb