Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I didn't claim depreciation on a rental property for 8

I didn't claim depreciation...

I didn't claim depreciation on a rental property for 8 years. I'm about to sell the property. How many years of the past annual depreciation can I claim?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a rental home I plan to sell. I have not claimed depreciation on it at all. It has been rented for 8 years. Can I claim that past depreciation?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?

I've calculated the annual depreciation rate at $7,250.

8/17/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi - You can do this, but you'll likely need to get some help.

...

You'll need to use a form (IRS form 3115) that's used for several purposes, chiefly making a change in accounting method.

...

This is a very complex form that requires the citing of tax law in several places. Turbotax, H&R block and the other self-prep packages can't handle it. But this can be done.

...

Make sure as you talk to tax pros that they have experience with the form.

...

Form 3115

Instructions for Form 3115 (HTML)

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

That's very helpful. Is there a limit to the number of unclaimed years of depreciation that a Form 3115 could cover?I know I can only amend the last 3 years of my filings.

No. There is no limit. IT's using the 3115 that removes the three year constraint. You're not filing amended return here.

...

See this: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/901499-using-form-3115-to-catch-up-depreciation-not-taken-on-rental

...

This: http://eo2.commpartners.com/users/nsa/downloads/Form_3115_Line-by-Line_Presentation_PDF.pdf (note the two slides on page 3)

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks much

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS