Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Sales tax liens or warrants on a business can they be

prevented if a stipulated payment...
Sales tax liens or warrants on a business can they be prevented if a stipulated payment agreement is entered first?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Has not yet Departmnent of Revenue called and told me it will be in 30 days if not paid..Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: WE had a n audit and this is the final number and its crazy like 29,000 with interest..
8/16/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

No, sorry, the lien will stay in place to protect their interest while the payments are being made.

...

They won't attach or seize anything as long as you make the payments, but they'll keep it there so that you can't sell without them standing in line first.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions at all.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Well I believe they freeze your business account at least to initially get something also and what if we have other another business? Is that affected and us personally? Just wondering?

They either Levy (which DOES allow the banks to freeze) or they lien, which is just a public record that keeps property from being sold before they collect theirs.

...

On the personal, if you have a corporation, and the lien is against the corporation, it does not ... UNLESS they go to the court with a charge under alter ego theory (a doctrine that lets them "pierce the corporate veil," saying that your corporation was just an alter ego of yourself, with no business purpose.

...

That can only happen when you've commingled funds OR not followed the state corporate law in the running of your business.

But if your business is a sole proprietor or partnership (rather than an LLC, or corporation which provides that corporate liability protection) then this is a personal debt by default.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS