Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a client who has overseas self-employment income. It

is my understanding that this...
I have a client who has overseas self-employment income. It is my understanding that this income cannot be excluded from his taxes because his main home was in the US? Is that correct? Also would he qualify for earned income credit based on that?
8/15/2017
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting your question today

If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

You may verify if the income is able to be excluded by using the IRS interactive tax assistant

https://www.irs.gov/uac/can-i-exclude-income-earned-in-a-foreign-country

Self-employment income: A qualifying individual may claim the foreign earned income exclusion on foreign earned self-employment income. The excluded amount will reduce the individual’s regular income tax, but will not reduce the individual’s self-employment tax.

I used the tax assistant and as per that it does not qualify for exclusion. So then can I claim earned income credit?

Yes, you may and should claim the earned income credit

As long as the client has earned income and not a net loss

he has earned income from foreign consulting and has worked at Walmart in the US which is why I am taking earned income credit.

Net earnings from self-employment are included in earned income for EITC purposes

Sounds like you have done all of the necessary research and work!

Chad CFP ®
Thank you

Thank you for the positive rating.

Have a great day!

Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®