Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have filed head of household due to being the only income…

Customer Question
I have filed head of...
I have filed head of household due to being the only income and taking care of 5 kids yet I am married yet not together under the same roof do I need to amend my taxes I think I may have gotten wrong information
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/10/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can only claim head of household if you did not live with your spouse for the last 6 months of the tax year. That means even one night during that last 6 months. If you are separated form your spouse then you can claim head of household as long as you did not spend even one night in the same home in the last 6 months of the tax year.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how should I fix the problem do I go back and amend the past few years of taxes

Yes, you would have to amend. If you owe because of the amending you would have interest to pay on that tax as well