Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I extended, I filed an extension on my 2016 tax return. Can…

Customer Question
I filed an extension...

I filed an extension on my 2016 tax return. Can I contribute to my traditional IRA for 2016 up to extended filing deadline?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 9 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The deadline for making your IRA contribution for 2016 is also April 15, 2017. Even if you filed for an extension to file your taxes, that does not extend your IRA contribution deadline. The IRA deadline is your un-extended tax filing deadline.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

I am not sure what else I can tell you other than the above but please respond below.

Hi, I am still waiting to hear back from you

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4