Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am 65 I want to use IRA funds as a down payment for a new…

Customer Question
I am 65 I...

I am 65 I want to use IRA funds as a down payment for a new primary residence. I hope to repay these funds within 60 days of escrow closing. However, it could take longer than 60 days to sell my current residence thus delaying that repayment. Could I withdraw funds from my employer sponsored 401k to repay the IRA, then repay the 401k within 60 day. All to avoid the tax liability?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

I think this covers it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
8/7/2017
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

If you borrow from your employer's 401(k) you may have more than 60 days to pay it back. Most 401(k) plans allow loans for up to 50% of the account balance. When you borrow the funds, you set up a repayment plan for an amount that you want over a period of time that you want, usually as long as 5 years, or sometimes 15 years if the withdrawal is to purchase or improve real estate. One of my co-workers borrowed $5k and is paying it off at $50 per pay period over 48 months. The interest charged adds to the 401(k) balance - you are paying your own return on investment.

The biggest disadvantage of a loan from an employer retirement plan is that any outstanding balance at the time you retire/quit/get fired is deemed to be a taxable distribution.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog