Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My 2016 Tax returns were held about $6K. It seems I did not…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. My 2016...

Hi Pearl. My 2016 Tax returns were held about $6K. It seems I did not file 2013 returns. PROBLEM 1: I did not receive this letter a nd it says " File your 2013 tax returns, along with any supporting forms and schedules by May 18th, 2017", PROBLEM 2: No clue what to file. Also I have left my previous job. Can you all help and tell me what to.

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

Well he can refer to this documnet as well. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwEtXr6ksilJZUJqeGRvTFlNWVk/view?usp=sharing When will he answer Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
8/6/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. I would suggest getting a copy of your wage and income transcript from 2013. You can obtain this at the IRS website. Here is a link https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

The transcript would have all of the income that was reported in 2013.

What the notice that you received means that If the IRS does not receive a return by May 18th 2017 the IRS will prepare a return based on the information that was reported to them for your social security number. This is known as a substitute for return.

Thanks Mark for the information. Since it has been clearly beyond May 18th what do you suggest I do. I have not received anything as far as I know. And I should receive something. Regarding registering I did so. My phone number is ***** associated with the current account so they will mail me a secure code to my registered address

My guess is that since the deadline passed the IRS filed a substitute for return based on the information that was reported to them. Do you remember what your sources of income was in 2013? Where you an employee? Did you receive any 1099's. If you had self employment income (1099) the IRS will pick up the income and not consider any expenses (Since they do not know what these would be). To correct this you would need to file an amended return.

If the IRS prepared a substitute for return an amended return can be prepared to correct any errors.

If your income is just W-2's it is possible that the substitute return is correct. The IRS is going to assume that you are single and do not have any dependents.

I am single, do not have any dependents and income is just W2.
QUESTIONS
-Regarding the 'amended return', how can I check if this has been processed ?
-I think I have not got anything returned, and possibly in 2013 I could not possibly owe the IRS 6K. Because I have net zero return (I think) ?

If you owe in 2013 there would be additional interest and penalties. You could pull a tax transcript of your 2013 information. This would show if a substitute return has been prepared. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor