Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If Nevada is successful in domesticating a state sales tax…

Customer Question
If Nevada is successful in...
If Nevada is successful in domesticating a state sales tax debt in North Carolina, what is the limit of wage garnishment for that debt
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
8/6/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 8 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello, My Name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your question today.

A creditor can garnish 25% of your disposable income or the amount by which your disposable income exceeds 30 times federal minimum wage, whichever is less. In North Carolina, if your disposable income is less than 30 times federal minimum wage, your wages cannot be garnished at all.

If a court from another state (Nevada) issues a valid order under that state’s laws requiring an employer to withhold a North Carolina employee’s wages for payment of a debt, the employer does not violate the North Carolina Wage and Hour Act by obeying that order. For further questions regarding this particular legal issue, you will need to contact a private attorney.

North Carolina Lawyer Referral Service at(###) ###-####(Raleigh/Cary) or toll-free (NC only) 1-***-***-****; web site: http://www.ncbar.org/public-pro-bono

Thank you for your question.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

If you have reviewed the question and found the question helpful, please rate my service.

I believe your next step would be to use the toll free number to contact an attorney in North Carolina, who may be able to assist you free of charge.

Are you satisfied with the answer you received?

Please rate and accept my answer so that I may close out your question and be credited for assisting you

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®