Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

1979 my husband purchased a home in 2006 the title was

Customer Question
1979 my husband purchased...

1979 my husband purchased a home in 2006 the title was changed to my name and put in a revocable trust. He passed last year and I want what exemption I can take if I sell.

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We lived in the for 37yrs,

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

. and filed jointly.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
The home was purchased jointly . Is there a time limit on when the house must be sold in order to qualify for the exemption.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/4/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 11 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

For tax purpose a grantor trust (a revocable trust) is not trust entity because the owner has a full control of the trust. Which means if a property is placed in a grantor trust and the owner meets the principle residence capital gains exclusion requirements (ownership test and residency test), the owner can claim the 250/500 exclusion when the property is sold.

If you legally own the property and both of you (you and your spouse) meets the residency test (2 out of 5 years) you can claim the full 500K exclusion.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

since the title was changed to my name , am I entitled to the 500,00 exemption and is there a time limit from the date of his death to the time I sell the house?

Ok. You said you a filing a joint return, so when he (assuming your husband) died? In 2016?

To claim 500K exclusion after death of your spouse you need to sell the house within 2 years after his death.

Is the phone fee an additional $52.oo ?

I do not have any access to customer billing info but generally yes, additional service fees are in additional.

Have you remarried since 2006? If yes, does your current spouse meets the residency test?

Since the title was changed to my name alone but he lived here and we filed jointly am I entitled to 5000,00 exemption

no, I have not remarried. and still reside in the home.

In that case no. Every taxpayer is entitled to maxim 250K exclusion. Which means you have to be married and file a joint return to claim 500K exclusion. There's an exception for recent widows. If a widow sell the jointly owned house within 2 year of the spouse's death, he/she can still claim his exclusion. After 2 years you can only claim your own exclusion OR if you file a joint return with a new spouse, both of you can claim 250K exclusion on a joint return (500K if filing jointly).

Since the title was changed to my name , is it considered a jointly owned house?

Jointly owned with who? A deceased person cannot own a property and claim an exclusion. A property can have more than one owner and every owner can claim an exclusion but nobody can claim more than 250K.

I'm confused. Since my name was on the title at the time of his death do I qualify for the
5000,00 exemption? I really appreciate your help in clarifying this.

No, you do not. Nobody can claim more than 250K. If you do not file a joint return you cannot claim his exemption so you cannot claim 500K. Only married couples (and recent widows/widowers) can claim 500K. 250K for each spouse.

I'm still confused and did not receive the answer

What is confusing you? You can claim 250K exclusion. Unless you file a joint return with somebody who can also claim 250K exclusion, you cannot claim more than 250K.

At the time of his death we had been filing a joint return, do I qualify as a widow for the
500,00 exemption if I sell it within 2 years?

If you sell it within 2 years of his death, than you can claim 250K for yourself and 250K for him, even if you do not file a joint return. How you filed at the time of his death is irrelevant.

Do you have any questions?