Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do I remove a federal tax lien. I no longer own the

Customer Question
property. Transferred to spouse in...
How do I remove a federal tax lien. I no longer own the property. Transferred to spouse in divorce
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
8/4/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

You can qualify to request your lien be withdrawn, if:

...

Simply transferring ownership does not remove the lien if you still have tax debt.

...

If this is the ex's tax debt, then:

...

Apply to Have The Lien Withdrawn

...

If you believe you qualify, fill out IRS Form 12277, Application for Withdrawal. It’s a fairly simple one-page form, with one page of instructions. Complete it and send it to the IRS per their instructions. If the IRS approves your request, it says it “will file Form 10916(c), Withdrawal of Filed Notice of Federal Tax Lien, in the recording office where the original NFTL was filed and provide you a copy of the document for your records.”

...

here's the form:

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

...

(This means you will have a written record that the lien has been withdrawn. You can ask the IRS to then notify the credit reporting agencies of the withdrawal, or you can supply that notice to them yourself.)

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Does the IRS ever negotiate a smaller amount on a tax lien

If you can show an inability to pay/financial hardship.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS