Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am on H1B but due to some family emergency I am travelling…

Customer Question
Hi I am on...

Hi I am on H1B but due to some family emergency I am travelling to my home country wont be back in US for a long time My company is suggesting me to become a consultant and get 1099, is that better or W8?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

This is the only question I have

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
8/4/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 11 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

As a non resident of the US You would not be issued a 1099MISC. You would need to complete the W8 form to identify your self as a non resident and not physically in the US performing any service. A non resident outside the US is not taxed in the US on services performed for US companies.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Will my company withhold federal tax using the W8 Form?

No they should not. A non US person performing services outside the US means no US tax is withheld.

Did that clarify?

Hello?