Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Second opinion] I have a lock in letter with my job. Is

Customer Question

Second opinion] I have a lock in letter with my job. Is there a way I can have the IRS temporarily remove it
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The IRS sent my job a lock in letter last August. I have been paying taxes according to there terms but I really need a little extra money to catch up on bills. Didn't know if the IRS has been known to remove it early even though the letter stated 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you by providing a second opinion.

You can call, fax, or write to the IRS to request removal of the lock-in letter within 30 days of the date of the lock-in letter.

You must submit for approval to the IRS any new Form W-4 and a statement supporting the claims made on the Form W-4 that would decrease federal income tax withholding.

How to get help

• Call toll free 1-***-***-**** weekdays between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
  • Send a fax to 1-***-***-****
  • Write to:

Internal Revenue Service
    Compliance Services
    Withholding Compliance Unit
    P.O. Box 9047, Stop 837
    Andover, MA 01810-0

What you need to do

• You can ask us to change our decision. Please call us at the number shown below within 30 days from the date of the letter. We will consider your explanation of why you believe you are entitled to a different withholding rate or number of withholding allowances (or exempt status).
  • When you call, have the following information available. If you file jointly, you must have the same information available for your spouse.
    • Form W-4 and worksheets. (You must complete the "Two Earners Multiple Jobs Worksheet" on the back of the Form W-4, if you have more than one job or your spouse works.)
    • Most current pay stubs for all jobs.
    • Number of withholding allowances you (and your spouse) are claiming on your Form(s) W-4.
    • The social security number and date of birth for any dependent you are entitled to claim.
    • A copy of the current tax return due, including all schedules, forms, and attachments.

Here's the IRS link: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2801c-letter

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.