Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband died in June, I know I am not responsible for…

Customer Question
My husband died in June...
My husband died in June, I know I am not responsible for debts in his name only, will I have to claim those debts as income when I file taxes for 2016?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
8/3/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

My name is***** am so sorry for your loss.

I will be happy to help you with your questions. What state do you live in?

Live in oklahoma
Oklahoma

This should not be considered cancellation of debt income to you. Most states require a debtor to make a claim on the estate.

But there is no estate. We have a house and a 14 year old car. That's it.

I understand, the estate would have the cancellation of debt. ( Even though there is not an actual estate)

Next year you would file a joint return. The debts of your husband should not be considered income on this return. The income should not be reported in your husband's name.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor