Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Can I take ownership of heir property that I pay taxes on in

Customer Question

Can I take ownership of heir property that I pay taxes on in Arkansas?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This was my mom's property
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance,a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist)designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bearwith me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go fromthere if you have further questions on this

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Yes, if there was no will, no surviving spouse and no other children, under Arkansas' laws of intestate succession, the property goes to you.

...

However, if there was no will and there are other children, then it would go to the children in equal shares (although you can work things out for yourselves)

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Here;s a very good overview of the issue:

...

http://info.legalzoom.com/arkansas-inheritance-laws-21496.html

...

Now, if you pay the taxes and take care of the property for a number of years, there IS something called adverse possession.

...

Adverse possession prevents the true owner from prevailing in a suit to recover his property after the claimant has adversely possessed the property for a period of years specified by statute

...

Payment of taxes, and a showing that the true owner has not paid taxes are statutory requirements for adverse possession in Arkansas. Under Arkansas code § 18-11-201, one who holds color of title and pays taxes for seven years of “unimproved and unenclosed” property is deemed to be in possession.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANYquestions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have otherquestions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on myaccuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only wayJustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There were 6 other children but I have been paying the taxes for over 10 years. In some states after 7 years, one can claim ownership. Is not true in Arkansas?
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Yes, I put that in my answer ... let me paste it here again. (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

"Payment of taxes, and a showing that the true owner has not paid taxes are statutory requirements for adverse possession in Arkansas. Under Arkansas code § 18-11-201, one who holds color of title and pays taxes for seven years of “unimproved and unenclosed” property is deemed to be in possession."

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great, how do I file for ownership
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

You'll need to petition the court. Go to the clerk of court in your county and ask what the procedure is for filing a petition for an "action to quiet title."

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

In your petition, describe the land and state the facts showing that you have a right and title to this property, and that no one is adversely possessing the property.

...

If you have knowledge of any other persons who have, or claim to have, interest in the property, those persons shall be summoned as defendants in the case.

...

If you cannot locate the defendant, you will need to publish a Warning Order in the newspaper.

...

Once all required persons have been notified of your Action to Quiet Title, those persons will usually have thirty (30) days to respond.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.
Did you see my answer? ... You've done the 7 years, now you just need to to go through then process of getting the court to approve title.
...
If this has helped, I'd appreciate a positive rating buy using those stars on your screen (That's the only way they'll compensate me here).
...
But if you need more, please let me know,
...
Lane