Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am try to complete an ss4 form I am not sure where to

Customer Question
I am try to...

I am try to complete an ss4 form I am not sure where to enter the grantor

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Who do i enter in box 3 on the ss4 form

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?

I am complete the form for my mothers trust. I am her son and trustie

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
8/2/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 6 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

You mentioned the word grantor in your request, so I take it that the trust is a grantor trust. If this is the case, you do not need to complete a Form SS-4 because grantor trusts are not required to have an EIN. SEE BELOW:

The one key thing that all parties should be aware is that the IRS does not require or recommend obtaining an EIN/Tax ID Number for “Grantor Trusts.” The client can use their own social security number when they open the account, because income from the account is to be reported on the individual income tax return of the Grantor (the person setting up the trust), even if the Grantor Trust is an irrevocable trust.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.rabalaisestateplanning.com/new-blog/2016/8/15/grantor-trust-accounts-do-not-need-their-own-tax-id-number-or-ein

--------------------------------

In addition, the Form SS-4 instructions indirectly indicate this as well. Refer to the instruction page of the form at the following link. The page titled Do I need an EIN. You will notice in the first column under created trust, you will see that it indicates other than a grantor trust.

Link to Form SS4:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have answered your question(s), I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I am selling a property and need to supply it to the buyer attorney I will also need to open a bank account. I tried to fill request online and was told to complete it via fax. The problem is the terms are different on the ss4 from the online application.
Where do I enter my mothers name and ss. I know I am considered the responsible party
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant