Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been teaching school since 1998, and I am being

Customer Question
I have been teaching...

I have been teaching school since 1998, and I am being screwed out of the social security money that i put in for 20 something years. If I get a a job pay after I retire, can I not pay into social security since I won't be getting my share of ss?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Contribution to social security system is mandatory, not voluntary. The funds withheld from the current workers are used to pay current benefits. Unless you work for a government, your employer will be required to withhold social security and Medicare from your paycheck.

A contribution to the system will not guarantee your benefits, you have to meet other requirements. If you worked in government sector and receive government pension your social security benefits are eliminated by your pension.

Any questions? SS and Medicare withholding is just another type of tax like, income tax or property tax.