Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I get a copy of my 2015 tax return? Can not find mine…

Customer Question
Can I get a...

Can I get a copy of my 2015 tax return? Can not find mine and I need it for refinance info for the lender.

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It was filed last year but a death in the family has somehow caused some important papers to be lost or very misplaced. It was filed and there was a return.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 6 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Regarding obtaining a copy of your 2015 tax return, you can request a transcript of the return online, by calling the IRS, or by mail. SEE BELOW:

You may need copies of your filed tax returns for many reasons. For example, they can help you prepare future tax returns. You’ll need them if you have to amend a prior year tax return. You often need them when you apply for a loan to buy a home or to start a business. You may need them if you apply for student aid. If you can’t find your copies, the IRS can give you a transcript of the information you need, or a copy of your tax return. Here’s how to get your federal tax return information from the IRS:

• Transcripts are free and you can get them for the current year and the past three years. In most cases, a transcript includes the tax information you need.
  • A tax return transcript shows most line items from the tax return that you filed. It also includes items from any accompanying forms and schedules that you filed. It doesn’t reflect any changes you or the IRS made after you filed your original return.
  • A tax account transcript includes your marital status, the type of return you filed, your adjusted gross income and taxable income. It does include any changes that you or the IRS made to your tax return after you filed it.
  • You can get your free transcripts immediately online. You can also get them by phone, by mail or by fax within five to 10 days from the time IRS receives your request.
    • To view and print your transcripts online, go to IRS.gov and use the Get Transcript tool.
    • To order by phone, call(###) ###-####and follow the prompts. You can also request your transcript using your smartphone with the IRS2Go mobile phone app.
    • To request an individual tax return transcript by mail or fax, complete Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses and individuals who need a tax account transcript should use Form Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
  • If you need a copy of your filed and processed tax return, it will cost $50 for each tax year. You should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, to make the request. Mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Copies are generally available for the current year and past six years. You should allow 75 days for delivery.
  • If you live in a federally declared disaster area, you can get a free copy of your tax return. Visit IRS.gov for more disaster relief information.

Request transcript online (link below):

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/request-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have answered your question(s), I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant