Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just got 2 calls stating that the IRS has filed a lawsuit…

Customer Question
I just got 2...

I just got 2 calls stating that the IRS has filed a lawsuit against me and I should immediately call(###) ###-####to resolve this matter. I'm suspicious because the IRS usually gives me an 800 number. Should I be concerned?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2017
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You need not worry about this.

This is a total scam...don't pay them a dime. The IRS is fully aware of this (http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Reiterates-Warning-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam) and has the following instructions for you:

"If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.***-***-****.

You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Good afternoon. I'm just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard