Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

As a medical recipient can I gift a car to my granddauhter,

Customer Question
As a medical recipient...

As a medical recipient can I gift a car to my granddauhter, value being $1000 without penalty And would it be better for her to pay $100 or be gifted

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

As med i cal recipient can I gift my granddaughter a car with no penalty to med i cal The car is not a listed asset. And is it better to gift car or have her pay $100 forcar..

Accountant's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Is this a second car? and ... is it already in your name?

WHile I'm waiting, here are the exemptions (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

Resource Exclusions (CA programs)

The following items do not count as resources:

• The home, and any adjoining land
  • Household goods and personal effects that have a total value of $2,000 or less
  • One car if it is: necessary for employment, or necessary for medical treatment, or modified for use by a disabled person, or it provides necessary transportation to perform essential daily activities, or has a current market value less than $4500
  • Property of a trade or business that is essential for self-support
  • Non-business property which is essential to self-support
  • Resources of a blind or disabled individual necessary to fulfill an approved PASS
  • Certain stocks held by Alaskan natives
  • Life insurance, if the total face value of all policies on one person do not exceed $1500. Otherwise, the cash surrender values of life insurance policies will count as a resource
  • Restricted allotted Native American lands
  • Payments or benefits paid under other Federal statutes
  • Disaster relief assistance
  • Burial space of any value, and burial funds up to $1500
  • Title XVI (SSI) or Title II (SSDI) retroactive payments for 6 months
  • Housing assistance
  • Earned Income Tax Credits
  • Nine months of payments received as compensation for expenses or losses suffered as a result of a crime
  • Nine months of reallocation assistance
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS