Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an Australian worker currently employed under an e3…

Customer Question
Hi, I am an...

Hi, I am an Australian worker currently employed under an e3 visa

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am married with 2 children (4yo, 6yo). I am the only employed person.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

We arrived in USA on Sept 22, 2017.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site,

You will be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for calendar year 2017. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:
1. 31 days during 2017, and
2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes
2017, 2016, and 2015, counting:
a. All the days you were present in 2017, and
b. 1/3 of the days you were present in 2016, and
c. 1/6 of the days you were present in 2015.

However - there is so-called - First-Year Choice
In your circumstances - if you will be a resident alien in 2018 - you can choose to be treated as a US resident for part of 2017.

Questions?

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor