Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How can I protect my Roth IRA if I'm receiving SSI, I'm 61…

Customer Question
How can I protect...

How can I protect my Roth IRA if I'm receiving SSI

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I'm 61 and receiving SSI HOW CAN I PROTECT IT AND CONTINUE my SSI bennifits?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
7/30/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is***** will be assisting you.

Q: HOW CAN I PROTECT IT AND CONTINUE my SSI bennifits?

A: Unfortunately, there is not a way that you can protect it and continue receiving SSI benefits. SEE BELOW:

Supplemental Security Income: big impact
By contrast, the Supplemental Security Income program is designed for low-income individuals with little or no financial resources. If you have access to an IRA in your own name, then the SSA can treat it as a financial resource that's available to you, and it can require that you spend down your IRA funds before you can become eligible to receive SSI disability benefits.

In addition, even if the IRA itself isn't treated as your financial resource, any income you receive from it can count as a financial resource on its own. For example, if you inherit an IRA and it distributes money to you, then the SSA can reduce or suspend benefits accordingly as long as that money is available to you.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.fool.com/knowledge-center/do-ira-withdrawals-affect-disability-benefits.aspx

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. I know that I may not have provided you with the information that you were hoping for, but I have provided you with factual information. In return, I ask that you please take the time and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant