Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

If Medicaid have a lien against ur home...would I know about

Customer Question

If Medicaid have a lien against ur home...would I know about it?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but my husband was on Medicaid in a nursing home for many years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The principal residence (homestead) of the applicant is usually considered exempt property. The homestead is the primary residence occupied by the applicant, his/her spouse, or the applicant's minor or disabled child.

If the homestead ceases to be the primary residence, Medicaid can place a lien on the home for an amount equal to the cost of services paid on behalf of the applicant.

You can check the Public Records in the County of New York you live in to determine if Medicaid as placed a lien on your home.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.