Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If Medicaid have a lien against ur home...would I know about…

Customer Question
If Medicaid have a...

If Medicaid have a lien against ur home...would I know about it?

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but my husband was on Medicaid in a nursing home for many years

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
7/30/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The principal residence (homestead) of the applicant is usually considered exempt property. The homestead is the primary residence occupied by the applicant, his/her spouse, or the applicant's minor or disabled child.

If the homestead ceases to be the primary residence, Medicaid can place a lien on the home for an amount equal to the cost of services paid on behalf of the applicant.

You can check the Public Records in the County of New York you live in to determine if Medicaid as placed a lien on your home.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.