How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2308
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I transferred my stock holding from one brokerage firm to

Customer Question

I transferred my stock holding from one brokerage firm to another without any sale of the stock holdings. Does this action constitute a sale and do I owe capital gains taxes?
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I moved brokerage firms. Went from Chase Bank to Fidelity. Did this transfer constitute a sale?
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: the IRS has sent me a tax bill as though I sold but I did not
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If you transferred the holdings from one account to another account this would not be considered a sale. Was this an IRA account?

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Are there stock sales that the IRS is adding as an adjustment?