Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I transferred my stock holding from one brokerage firm to…

Customer Question
I transferred my stock...

I transferred my stock holding from one brokerage firm to another without any sale of the stock holdings. Does this action constitute a sale and do I owe capital gains taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I moved brokerage firms. Went from Chase Bank to Fidelity. Did this transfer constitute a sale?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?

The IRS has sent me a tax bill as though I sold but I did not

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If you transferred the holdings from one account to another account this would not be considered a sale. Was this an IRA account?

Are there stock sales that the IRS is adding as an adjustment?

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor