Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

First of all, Last time i posted a question, I got a very…

Customer Question
First of all, Last...

First of all, Last time i posted a question, I got a very vague answer. Ok I have a tax question related to travel nursing

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I live in Wichita KS and work for two nursing agencies . The first one sent me on a 13wks travel assignment to Gladstone Missouri 6/26/16 - 9/24/16. Now i am on a travel assignment with the second agency since 9/28/16 till 10/24/17. I will not receive tax free benefits (stipends) after 9/28/17 until the end of the contract. Both jobs are less than 20 miles from each other. My current recruiter still insists that I am complaint but former one does not. Also, After a year of traveling to one location, do I need to stay in Wichita for a brief period (How long) before I am eligible for tax free Stipends again?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

I know, I just don't want to be directed to someone who will give me vague answers or direct me for more research

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?

I want some one familiar with Travel nursing and stipends please.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
7/30/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There is NO such thing as tax free stipend.

Any compensation you receive for services is treated and reported as wages - assuming your are an employee of the nursing agency.

Another issue - if you are getting reimbursements for job related travel expenses - these are not considered as compensation and are not reported as compensation and are not included into taxable wages.
However - there are certain requirements.

Reimbursements for travel expenses may include Per Diem, dwelling, transportation and some other expenses - if paid under an accountable reimbursement plan.

To be an accountable plan, the reimbursement or allowance arrangement must include all of the following rules.

1. Your expenses must have a business connection — that is, you must have paid or incurred deductible expenses while performing services.

2. You must adequately account to the payer for these expenses within a reasonable period of time.

3. You must return any excess reimbursement or allowance within a reasonable period of time.

Otherwise - these payments are added to your taxable income.

For instance - if you are simply given some stipend without adequately reporting how the money were used that will be considered your wages.

Another issue - you may deduct travel expenses while away from home - IF that is a temporary work assignment.

The key in such determination is temporary

-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work.

If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.

So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.

However - if at the time you start to work - it is clear that your assignment will be more than a year - it is NOT considered as temporary - and none of travel expenses could be deducted.

However if for instance your original assignment is from 9/28/16 till 6/24/17 - means less than a year - but on 1/2/17 your assignment is extended till 10/24/17 - you are allowed for deductible travel expenses from 9/28/16 till 1/2/17.

Let me know if any clarification needed.