How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First of all, Last time i posted a question, I got a very

Customer Question

First of all, Last time i posted a question, I got a very vague answer. Ok I have a tax question related to travel nursing
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I live in Wichita KS and work for two nursing agencies . The first one sent me on a 13wks travel assignment to Gladstone Missouri 6/26/16 - 9/24/16. Now i am on a travel assignment with the second agency since 9/28/16 till 10/24/17. I will not receive tax free benefits (stipends) after 9/28/17 until the end of the contract. Both jobs are less than 20 miles from each other. My current recruiter still insists that I am complaint but former one does not. Also, After a year of traveling to one location, do I need to stay in Wichita for a brief period (How long) before I am eligible for tax free Stipends again?
JA: The expert's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I know, I just don't want to be directed to someone who will give me vague answers or direct me for more research
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: I want some one familiar with Travel nursing and stipends please.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

There is NO such thing as tax free stipend.

Any compensation you receive for services is treated and reported as wages - assuming your are an employee of the nursing agency.

Another issue - if you are getting reimbursements for job related travel expenses - these are not considered as compensation and are not reported as compensation and are not included into taxable wages.
However - there are certain requirements.

Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

Reimbursements for travel expenses may include Per Diem, dwelling, transportation and some other expenses - if paid under an accountable reimbursement plan.

To be an accountable plan, the reimbursement or allowance arrangement must include all of the following rules.

  1. Your expenses must have a business connection — that is, you must have paid or incurred deductible expenses while performing services.

  2. You must adequately account to the payer for these expenses within a reasonable period of time.

  3. You must return any excess reimbursement or allowance within a reasonable period of time.

Otherwise - these payments are added to your taxable income.

For instance - if you are simply given some stipend without adequately reporting how the money were used that will be considered your wages.

Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

Another issue - you may deduct travel expenses while away from home - IF that is a temporary work assignment.

The key in such determination is temporary

-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work.

If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.

So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.

However - if at the time you start to work - it is clear that your assignment will be more than a year - it is NOT considered as temporary - and none of travel expenses could be deducted.

However if for instance your original assignment is from 9/28/16 till 6/24/17 - means less than a year - but on 1/2/17 your assignment is extended till 10/24/17 - you are allowed for deductible travel expenses from 9/28/16 till 1/2/17.

Let me know if any clarification needed.