Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am being audited by the IRS for mileage that claimed on my…

Customer Question
I am being audited...

I am being audited by the IRS for mileage that claimed on my 2014 Taxes. I submitted the mileage log to them and now they are asking for explanatation and doucmentation to show the purposes the business purpose of each trip. my total miles i claimed was 40,000. I lived in one of the 4 largest City. My log include the purpose of the each which was delivered of good to customers. I sell and make custom shirts. I even presented them a letter explaining my business. Now, I submitted this information and I'm lost and confuse.

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

I recd call from the IRS tell me I need to submit each address so they can go back and recalculate the mileage.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
7/29/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
I'mCustomer I can assist.
There is a better way. You should not dictate what they want, but it's hard to know that unless you're a tax pro.Better is to take a copy of your mileage log and add the destination and purpose to each trip yourself. Support it with your dated receipts when you prepare it (don't give IRS your receipts).A tax pro might be worth hiring to defend you here. Keep in mind your state will take the IRS audit results and send a bill in six months.The key is IRS intimidates citizens as part of their audit. Tax pros are treated very differently.Thanks for asking at just answer. Good luck with your audit. Please rate my response with positive feedback to complete your request.
Customer
its best that i go into the office or get with Tax advocate
I said neither of those things. Best is hiring a tax pro and helping him prepare workpapers that support your claimed expenses. Second best is you prepare workpapers that agree with your sales records.The taxpayer advocate won't intercede in your audit. And I would not go to the IRS office unless I handed them support I created and controlled.
Customer

Can i ask for positive feedback to complete your request for month end?

Customer/p>
PDtax
PDtax