Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My dad put my name on his bank account before he died. Do I

have to pay tax on...
My dad put my name on his bank account before he died. Do I have to pay tax on the money in that account?
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What would you like to know?
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: Beyond what I've already told you, I'm not sure
7/28/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Your father gifted half the account to you prior to his passing. The receiver of a gift does not pay gift tax. Assuming your father was a US citizen you do not have to report that either. If the amount was more than $14000 your father would need a form 709 filed to report the gift. What that does is reduce his Estate tax allowance by the amount over $14000.

You would not be taxed on the account.

There is substantially more money in the account than $14,000. And I don't know if he ever filed that form prior to his passing. Is this something I can still do to reduce the tax on his estate?

This is not going to reduce the tax on his estate. The amount over $14000 goes against his $5.49 million that he was allowed prior to estate tax applying.

It does need to be filed for him by whoever is handling his estate

Your half of the account would not be in his estate

Do I need to hire a probate lawyer? Is this expensive? Would he or she take care of all aspects including this form?

You could hire an attorney but that depends on the size of the estate. The form 709 is a tax form so the person handling the tax portion could perform that task

As far as expensive, it depends on what they have to do I cannot advise you on that.

Estate is probably in the neighborhood of $500K.....
would I need a probate lawyer? Also regarding taxes, would there be any Wisconsin state tax concerns?

Since there is no longer a federal credit for state estate taxeson the federal estate tax return, there is no longer basis for the Wisconsin estate tax. Wisconsin has neither an estate tax– a tax paid by the estate, nor an inheritance tax – a tax paid by a recipient of a gift from an estate.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4