Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am inquiring how to determine taxes for gambling winnings,

Customer Question

hello, i am inquiring how to determine taxes for gambling winnings
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: if claiming married and my husband and i have gambling winnings can the win/loss be combined or will they be seperate. for example, his win/loss and my win/loss calculated seperately
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: o
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

If you file joint then the amounts for losses can be combined on the Schedule A to reduce the total wins. This works out well if one of you has more loss than the other. In total though, the losses cannot be more than the total wins shown.
For example, together your wins are $500 but your losses are $200 and his are $600, the total losses are limited to the $500 in total wins.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Did that clarify?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Hello