Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm disabled, and I haven't filed taxes because my files are…

I'm disabled, and I...

I'm disabled, and I haven't filed taxes because my files are in a storage space and my physical limitations prevents me from locating these files. the california franchise tax board sent a notice for me to file a return, and i requested an extension, which is now passed. today i noticed a large withdrawal from my checking account, and i have a feeling its the california frnachise tax board - don't they have to inform me of such a withdrawal?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

My only income is from disability benefits from social security and my pension.

7/28/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

California is notorious for being aggressive and greedy when it comes to taxes it believes it is owed.

If the California Franchise Tax Board had sent you a notification that it was levying your bank account, that would give you sufficient time to withdraw all of your money.

First, you need to determine if the California Franchise Tax Board did, in fact, take the money out of your account.

Social Security is NOT garnishable by the California Franchise Tax Board. My best advice would be to notify them immediately that your bank account contains Social Security payments, so they will return that portion of the money to your bank account.

I would strongly urge you to file your tax returns as soon as possible. Perhaps a friend or relative can assist you with locating the files you need.

You may need the assistance of a local CPA/Enrolled Agent to intercede on your behalf with the California Franchise Tax Board to buy you some time to file your returns.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future.

Barb

By saying "If the California Franchise Tax Board had sent you a notification that it was levying your bank account, that would give you sufficient time to withdraw all of your money." did you mean that I should have reveived a notification, or were you providing a reason why CFTB doesn't send a notification re levying a bank account? I've read pages and pages of info in the past 24 hours - exhausted! Thanks

I was providing a reason why CA FTB does not send a notification.

They want whatever money they believe they are entitled to!

Thanks for clarifying!

My pleasure.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent