Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I purchased a mattress and am exchanging it. They said they

Customer Question

I purchased a mattress and am exchanging it. They said they won't give me back my taxes that I paid but say I have to pay taxes on the new one. Please advise.
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Basically I need to know if they are suppose to give me back my tax that I was charged
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: AM I suppose to be charged twice?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane

...

Sales tax laws are state laws and can vary from state to state, so it’s important to check the laws in the state.

...

For example, Massachusetts ruled that no sales tax is required to be refunded at all if the return was made after 90-days in a situation where the refund amount is reduced.

...

Generally, a business is expected to provide a refund of sales tax on returned merchandise. And actually, if someone returns only a portion of the items purchased on the same receipt, the business’s system should be set up to automatically refund the sales tax only for the items that were returned.

...

(so this COULD be a function of the merchant's not putting money into a decent system)

...

But this could very possibly be merchant ignorance OR hoping that you are.

...

What state are you in?