Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed for an extension on my 2016 taxes but cannot find a…

I filed for an...

I filed for an extension on my 2016 taxes but cannot find a copy of the extension filing. Can I get a copy from the IRS

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Jerry L Phillips###-##-####filed jointly with my wife Constance J Phillips###-##-####

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?

Just needing the proof of extension filing for my bank.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/27/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this

Yes, you can get a certain version of the tax transcript (called the ACCOUNT transcript) that will show that an extension was filed.

...

See this from the IRM (IRS' Internal Revenue Manual):

...

"Tax Account Transcript ... is ordered when the taxpayer wants an account history. Some reasons may include ... Verification of extension".
https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-002-003r.html

...

You can use form 4506-T: https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-4506t

...

Or use the "Get Transcript" tool here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

...

Be SURE, when you are choosing the TYPE of transcript, to choose ACCOUNT transcript.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Thanks!

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Excellent expert: fast, friendly, accurate response! Highly recommend this tax expert!��������
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS