Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We have a car that is out for repossession. I am trying to

Customer Question
find out it there is...
We have a car that is out for repossession. I am trying to find out it there is anything I can do before they take it to see if they will waive the amount owed after auction. I know it will be considered income on taxes, and bankruptcy is not an option. I am not sure what it is called or what to ask for exactly, we are in NC, car bought in VA
JA: What sort of protection is being sought? What are the debts in question?
Customer: We owe about $24k on it, we think it will be sold for auction at $10-15K. We are trying to voluntarily surrender it and have the $9-14K not be sought after.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Toyota Finance says it has been charged off, and is out for repossession. They do not have the car, we have the car.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not think so.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
7/26/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

Negotiating this kind of relief is difficult unless your financial condition supports your request. There may be tax relief available even if Toyota Finance issues you the 1099-C. Let's start there.

If you are insolvent (debts exceeding assets), the debt forgiveness income may not be taxable. Your financial condition, and completing Form 982 with your tax pro, will be a good first step. If you qualify for nonrecognition of the income, let Toyota send you the form. You're covered.

If this won't work for you, you may have some things working in your favor. Since you have moved, you might be difficult for the repo man to find. Offering to turn in the car voluntarily might be a negotiating tool you can use to negotiate, especially if the creditor does not know where the vehicle is. You might offer to deliver the vehicle in its best condition to them in exchange for whatever concessions you wish for. I have seen specific language used between a debtor and creditor in which they agree in writing not to issue the form, and you agree to certain things in consideration.

I have seen numerous examples of debtors asking for this release, and the creditor's debt collector agreeing over the phone. But, in January, when the 1099-C comes, and the debtor finds that promise to not be binding, that the 982 relief options must be considered. And after the fact is never as good as before.

Keep in mind that you are negotiating with a creditor, and any promises made by either of you should be committed to writing and agreed to by both parties. Debt collectors can and will make promises they have no burden to keep, and collection laws vary by state.

There is a very good case that may be binding in your IRS District. The recent Sixth Circuit case of McClusky v. Century Bank, FSB, 2015 U.S. App. LEXIS 1419 (2015) concerns the consequences of failing to consider possible tax issues, and provides an excellent summary of the law applicable to the settlement of a dispute involving the cancellation or discharge of an indebtedness. In McClusky, debtors sued after receiving 1099-C after having a written settlement agreement.

I suggest that you consider having an attorney assist in the negotiations, and in drafting the agreement that would be binding in your District, with terms similar to McClusky.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please take a moment to post positive feedback on our five star rating scale. Experts are not compensated until your positive feedback releases their fee.

Customer/p>
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago

Can i ask for positive feedback to complete your request for month end?

Customer/p>
PDtax
PDtax