How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3733
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to obtain my w-2 for 2004. My employer says they

Customer Question

Hi there. I need to obtain my w-2 for 2004. My employer says they don't keep them that long. I need it to file an original return with the irs
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: That's all I need
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: No, that's it.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A venue for assistance. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you. You can request a copy of the Wage and Income transcript from the IRS, however, I don't think that they will have the information readily available because it is beyond ten years. You can call them and check. 1-***-***-****. If they can still provide you with the document, it is called the Wage and Income Transcript, and you want it for tax year 2004. The Wage and Income transcript will show any W2s that were submitted to the IRS for that year, among other income information. You can even request that it be faxed to you if you have a secure fax machine. Now, if you are unable to obtain the document from the IRS, you can request it from social security. As the request is not for social security purposes, there is a fee. SEE BELOW:

We can give you copies or printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $86 per request if you need them for an unrelated reason. You can also get a transcript or copy of your Form W-2 from the Internal Revenue Service. However, state and local tax information isn’t available if you e-filed your tax return.
Some examples of non-Social Security program purposes are:

If you do not give a reason, we assume you need the forms for non-program purposes.
When you write to us, be sure to include:

  • Your Social Security number;
  • The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
  • Any different names shown on your W-2;
  • Your complete mailing address;
  • The year(s) for which you need copies;
  • Your daytime telephone number; and
  • The reason for your request.

Send your request with a check or money order payable to the Social Security Administration. Please include your Social Security number on the check or money order. You also can pay with a credit card by completing Form-714. Regular credit card rules apply.

Link to Form 714:

Please send your request to:Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Office of Earnings and International Operations
Division of Earnings and Business Services
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD###-##-####/p>

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have addressed your inquiry, I ask that you take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. Please remember to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response. A positive rating is the only way that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.