Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question about buying a car. California, but i will

Customer Question
Hi. I have a question...
Hi. I have a question about buying a car.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California, but i will be buying the car in colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Im trying to buy a car and have called around saying I have a better deal than I really have to see if anyone close to me will match it. The dealer is asking for proof of the price. My question is if I get a quote from another dealer and modify the email to a better price than it actually is, is that illegal?
7/25/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

It's not illegal, it's artful negotiation. But don't think you will get too far with this.

The dealer will want an actual paper quote, signed off by the store manager.

And, when you present the paper pricing, for an actual vehicle with a list of options, I know a dealer technique is to lowball their price for the vehicle you really want, with color, options, etc. Then, they never order the car.

You wait a month or so, and the car never arrives. You eventually get impatient and go to the store, where they will sell you something they already have.

Best is to get approved for financing from a third party, and get a good appraisal for your trade in before going to the dealer. You will still be able to get great financing from banks, credit unions, etc. that often beats the dealer rates by a lot. Saving 1% on a $30,000 car will save you $750 in interest over 5 years. Just saying.

They are aware that you are an online shopper, so they know you likely have online information, such as dealer 'invoice' and other ijnsights. They will also sell you based on your online usage. They will sell you a car as an online shopper, one who could not be bothered to go to a store or two to actually drive and shop.

Dealers know that online shoppers are used to that lazy kind of shopping, and will not offer any final pricing online. They know you can take that elsewhere, so that price is never their best. You should only buy in person, negotiating for the exact vehicle you want, not the brown one that has been there 6 months.

That's why I don't recommend True*** or other online buying services. The dealerships pay $400 per car, I think, commission for every car they sell that way to the site. Guess how they get that.

It's getting near month end, which is good for you (sales quotas mean hungry sales and dealers), also near model year end (even better for you).

I know I took your question away from the focus, which was an email amendment to support a better price. I just wanted to share some industry insight.

By the way, just wait until a dealer tells you he can't match that email price, and tells you to get it from them. Better yet, he offers to call that store, since he knows the manager there, to confirm that price.

They are in the sales business, and have a strategy to rebuff most purchase arguments. Just so you know the best approach is honesty from you. Especially if you can find the exact model you want on the dealer's website in stock.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. PDtax

P. S. A general manager of a Chev*/Cadill** store taught me this.

Can i ask for positive feedback to complete your request for month end?

PDtax

PDtax
PDtax