emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

How do i get a copy of my 2016 tax form already filled out

Customer Question

how do i get a copy of my 2016 tax form already filled out by deadline this year?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions . Has the return already been filed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont want to pay $52!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought u could just answer my ?

Please ignore the phone call messages. These are coming from the website and not me.

You can obtain a transcript on the IRS website. The transcript will contain a summary of your return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

You would need to complete Form 4506-T to obtain an actual copy of the return. There is a $57 fee charged by the IRS. Usually it can take 30 days or more to obtain a copy.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do i get a copy of my already filed 2016 tax return?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Another expert here. I will be happy to help you.

How did you file your return? Electronically or on paper?

The IRS will not provide you a copy of your return free of charge. If you do not want to pay $57 per copy and wait 60 days, the easier way is to get it from your original preparer or, if you prepared it yourself from the software you used or website you used to e-file your return.

But depending what do you need it for, most financial or government institution will accept the IRS transcript (some may even require a transcript as a proof of filing your return). You can get a free transcript and much more by accessing your online IRS account.