How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a couple that has a signed written separate agreement,

Customer Question

Can a couple that has a signed written separate agreement, with equal custody of the two children use Head a Household filling status each of their tax return
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To claim HOH while you are still married you would need to live apart for the last 6 month of the year and have to provide home for a qualifying dependent. A qualifying child for HOH purposes must life with the taxpayer more than 6 month. So yes, it is possible if you separated no later than Jun 30. If both of you claim Head of household the IRS most likely request children's proof of residency: school records, medical records or any other official records with your address and child's name.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Any questions?