Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Can a couple that has a signed written separate agreement,

Customer Question

Can a couple that has a signed written separate agreement, with equal custody of the two children use Head a Household filling status each of their tax return
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To claim HOH while you are still married you would need to live apart for the last 6 month of the year and have to provide home for a qualifying dependent. A qualifying child for HOH purposes must life with the taxpayer more than 6 month. So yes, it is possible if you separated no later than Jun 30. If both of you claim Head of household the IRS most likely request children's proof of residency: school records, medical records or any other official records with your address and child's name.

Any questions?