Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My question is about writing off travel expenses.. I am a…

My question is about writing...
My question is about writing off travel expenses.. I am a self employed internet marketer, and am wanting to start a new project (building a video sales page) to do this I need to shoot pictures and videos of my self in an exotic destination.I have narrowed my search down to a particular resort destination in Cancun for me to shoot video and take pictures of for my project. My plan is to fly down to this resort for 4 - 5 nights and shoot the images and videos i need.I will also need some one to take the video of me so will be taking my wife along..I am pretty sure I can write off my flight and resort fee as i done it a couple years ago when I traveled for a conference, but can I also write off my wife's plane ticked being as I need her to come along to shoot the video and images of me?One might be able to argue I don't need 4 nights and that makes it more of a vacation, but if the weather isn't working out on a day or 2 then i wont be able to get the footage i need, so I want to make sure I get the footage.I also know that any shopping trip that might be made off resort grounds wont be able to be deducted and i just want to make sure that the cost of the flight and resort stay where ill be shooting will be deductible.I will also be conducting my day to day business activities via my laptop while there.Thanks you,
Thomas
7/24/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes, the flight and lodging would be an allowed expense. The use of your spouse as an independent non employee shooting the video would be an expense for you.

You are correct about the shopping trips not being allowed.

As far as the days needed, you will need to keep a written record of the shoots. This should assist if you are audited

just log the date and times of shooting images or video on my laptop, and any reason I didn't not shoot on a particular day, then print it off and file it with the recipes for the trip, and i should be all good to write off both plane tickets and the room cost. Correct?

Yes. The log would be used to substantiate the actual time and purpose. That way too if you do not shoot on a specific day you know to not use those expenses.

ok, thank you vert much.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4