Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Im launching my online dietary supplement company august

Customer Question
Hello. Im launching my online...
Hello. Im launching my online dietary supplement company august 1st. We are based in Torrance, California. My question is: Based on our location do we charge all 50 states the same tax rate?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: We need to know how tax we should charge each customer, based on city location? or if we just customers charge customers based on our location?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: The following question:
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Sorry I had a few typos. Basically in a nutshell we are wondering how to handle added tax to our customers purchase. We are not sure how to go about charging our customers. We are cunfused with how to determine what to charge them.1. Do we charge our customers in all 50 states or just California based on our address of business operations?2. Do we not have to charge customers outside of California?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/24/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

California is an origin based state as it applies to sales tax. You will charge customers located inside and outside of California sales tax.

If you only have one location in California, then you’ll charge two sales tax rates. You’ll charge your district rate to buyers located in your district, and the California state rate (7.25% in 2017) to buyers outside your district.

The following links contain excellent information you will find helpful:

https://www.taxjar.com/states/california-sales-tax-online/#do-you-have-sales-tax-nexus-in-california

https://blog.taxjar.com/charging-sales-tax-rates/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent