Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I'm looking to raise my tenants rent after year's. What is a

Customer Question

I'm looking to raise my tenants rent after year's. What is a legal raise, how much can I raise it to?
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: What's only 5?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I need to know how much I can raise there rent, would 100 be legal
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Unless you are in a rent-controlled area, there IS no limit other than what your lease allows.

...

You can't increase rent while the lease is in effect unless the agreement allows for it.

...

But once the lease is up (most go to a month to month situation) you can charge whatever the market will bear.

...

Depending on the landlord/tenant laws of your state, a certain period of notice may be required

...

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Florida
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Florida Statutes – Landlord and Tenant – Title VI, Chapter 83

...

Lease, Rent & Fees:

• Rent Increase Notice: No Statute (83.46)
  • When Rent is Due: When agreed upon, at the beginning of each period, and rent is uniformly apportionable from day-to-day (83.46(1)).
  • Application Fees: No Statute. Use Cozy to avoid having to charge application fees.
  • Late Fees: No Statute (83.46)
  • Returned Check Fees: If payment is returned by a financial institution, landlord can impose a service charge of $25, if the face value does not exceed $50, $30, if the face value exceeds $50 but does not exceed $300, $40, if the face value exceeds $300, or 5 percent of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater (68.065). I recommend using Cozy to collect rent online to nearly eradicate late payments.
  • Prepaid Rent: No Statute (83.46)
  • Tenant Allowed to Withhold Rent for Failure to Provide Essential Services (Water, Heat, etc.): Yes (83.60). Essential services are defined in Statute 83.51.
  • Tenant Allowed to Repair and Deduct Rent: No Statute
  • Landlord Allow to Recover Court and Attorney’s Fees: Yes (83.48, 83.55)
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Now, as to your specific question. The ONLY statute (law) related to rent increases is this one:

...

• It is unlawful for a landlord to discriminatorily increase a tenant’s rent or decrease services to a tenant, or to bring or threaten to bring an action for possession or other civil action, primarily because the landlord is retaliating against the tenant (83.64).
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Did you see my answer Again, the ONLY law on the books about rent is that you can not be retaliatory with it.

...

If you'd like to see this from another source see this: http://floridarealestatelawyer.org/does-florida-have-a-rent-control-ordinance-that-caps-how-much-rent-can-increase-from-year-to-year/

...

From there: "Florida and her cities have no rent control ordinances. In essence, the only thing that prevents a landlord from charging whatever he or she wants is the availability of tenants willing to pay that amount."

...

I'd really appreciate a positive rating using those green stars (and clicking submit). Otherwise JustAnswer won't compensate me for the work here.