Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Child tax credit: Taxpayer work oversea. the spouse is

Child tax credit:Taxpayer work oversea...
Child tax credit:Taxpayer work oversea. the spouse is nonresident alien. Taxpayer file as married filing separately and claim the son as dependent. Can the taxpayer claim the child care credit or the child tax credit.
7/19/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

As the taxpayer works outside the US, are they using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion? If so the credit cannot be received if the earnings are excluded using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Thank you
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4