Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If a beneficiary of an irrevocable trust (the grantor was

his father, now deceased) has...
If a beneficiary of an irrevocable trust (the grantor was his father, now deceased) has medical expenses paid out of the trust, are they able to deduct those expenses from their personal return?
7/19/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If funds are reported as distributed from the trust to the beneficiary - then - yes - the beneficiary will treat these payments are deductible medical expenses.
If - for instance - that is a special needs trust - and funds are NOT reported a distributed to the beneficiary - deduction for medical expenses would not be allowed.

Please provide more details for specific determination.

The beneficiary receives a K-1 showing interest and dividend income. Does it matter if the distributions are more than that?

That will make no difference.
Distribution from the trust may be taxable (if comes from income) or not taxable (from corpus) or a combination of both - and in any case funds belongs to the beneficiary.

Thus - if that is not a special need trust - payments made directly from the trust are considered as distributed and paid by the beneficiary,

That is regardless if the distribution partially taxable and partially not.

Therefore the beneficiary may deduct medical expenses. No limitations.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor