Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If person A sales a used car to person, is a sales tax

Customer Question
If person A sales a...
If person A sales a used car to person B, is a sales tax required to be paid by either party?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: That's really it. My mother wants to sale her car to her sister (both in Texas), and we are trying to determine if any tax will be owed by either party.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: The value and sales price of the car are $17K.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

If buying from an individual, a motor vehicle sales tax (6.25 percent) on either the purchase price or standard presumptive value (whichever is the highest value), must be paid when the vehicle is titled.

Here is a link to TX Department of Motor Vehicles http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle

If this answered your question I would appreciate if you would take a moment to rate my response. There should be stars located above the question. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation. Thank you.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor