Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a company is a corporation and doesn't file a tax return;

If a company is a...
If a company is a corporation and doesn't file a tax return; federal or state, because the company had negative revenue or, basically spent more than revenue, is there an IRS penalty?
7/18/2017
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, ATTORNEY
Still need to file even if there is a loss. Practically no penalty will apply except return will need to be filed.
Could you please be more specific? What does 'practically no penalty' mean?
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question. What type of corporation is this? Is is a C Corporation or S-Corporation?

C corp

With a C-Corporation the penalty is based on the taxes that are owed. So there would not be a penalty associated with a late filed return if there is a loss.

Mark Taylor