Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2014 I did not claim my SS disability payments on my

Customer Question
return as I thought it...
In 2014 I did not claim my SS disability payments on my return as I thought it was not taxable. I received Mutual of Omaha disability payments from my job. i received a returned that year. then I received a letter from the IRS stating that basically I deceived them by not reporting my social security payments and was assessed a penalty and ordered to pay approximately 7500. i had a bad relapse of my illness shortly thereafter as was mentally and physically unable to handle the matter. Well today I mustered up enough energy to call and was able to understand most of what I was told. Mainly I owe a lot of money I do not have and completing a lot more paperwork.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I was told that the way that mutual of omamh and SS was reporting to IRS is Taxable income. and that the IRS is taxing my SS 85%
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
7/15/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 6 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

My best advice would be to prepare and file your tax return for 2014 to include your income. The IRS receives copies of income reporting documents, but it does not prepare your return, so it does not calculate your deductions/credits/exemptions. Once you know your true tax liability, you can then request a payment plan from the IRS for what you owe.

You should contact a local CPA/Enrolled Agent to assist you with the IRS in this matter.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

i already filed 2014 and they assessed a penalty and says because i waited so long i can't make payment arrangements.
I'll just call the IRS back for free to get more information. they are free.

You can call the Taxpayer Advocate Service (a free service) who can intercede on your behalf with the IRS.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/contact-us

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney