How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2014 I did not claim my SS disability payments on my

Customer Question

In 2014 I did not claim my SS disability payments on my return as I thought it was not taxable. I received Mutual of Omaha disability payments from my job. i received a returned that year. then I received a letter from the IRS stating that basically I deceived them by not reporting my social security payments and was assessed a penalty and ordered to pay approximately 7500. i had a bad relapse of my illness shortly thereafter as was mentally and physically unable to handle the matter. Well today I mustered up enough energy to call and was able to understand most of what I was told. Mainly I owe a lot of money I do not have and completing a lot more paperwork.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I was told that the way that mutual of omamh and SS was reporting to IRS is Taxable income. and that the IRS is taxing my SS 85%
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

My best advice would be to prepare and file your tax return for 2014 to include your income. The IRS receives copies of income reporting documents, but it does not prepare your return, so it does not calculate your deductions/credits/exemptions. Once you know your true tax liability, you can then request a payment plan from the IRS for what you owe.

You should contact a local CPA/Enrolled Agent to assist you with the IRS in this matter.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i already filed 2014 and they assessed a penalty and says because i waited so long i can't make payment arrangements.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'll just call the IRS back for free to get more information. they are free.
Expert:  Barbara replied 9 days ago.

You can call the Taxpayer Advocate Service (a free service) who can intercede on your behalf with the IRS.