Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I have a question regarding form 1096. I need to file the

Customer Question

I have a question regarding form 1096. I need to file the form by mail for the dissolved business. I only have issued 1099-div. Do I have to attach a copy of 1099-div along with the form 1096? Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. We appreciate your trust in us. My name is***** will be assisting you today.

Q: Do I have to attach a copy of 1099-div along with the form 1096?

A: Yes, you do have to enclose the Form 1099-Div with the Form 1096. SEE BELOW:

When to file.

File Form 1096 as follows.

• With Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, or W-2G, file by

February 28, 2018.

REFERENCE SOURCE: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1096.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have answered your question, please take the time to scroll to the top of the page, and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a deadline for the 1099 and 1096 forms after the business is closed? For example, those forms must be filed within 3 months after the business closure. Can I file those early next year (2018)? Thanks.

Hello again.

Q1: Is there a deadline for the 1099 and 1096 forms after the business is closed?

A1: The forms should be filed the year that the business ceases operations.

Q2: Can I file those early next year (2018)?

A2: If the business tax return is due 3 months after business closure, then that is when you need to file the Form 1096 and Form 1099-Div. If that 3 month time frame has already passed, I would suggest filing the forms as soon as possible.