Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I live In Pennsylvania but work for a company in Maryland.

Customer Question

I live In Pennsylvania but work for a company in Maryland. After filing a tax return earlier this year, we learned that Maryland taxes were coming out of my paycheck rather than Pennsylvania taxes. If this continues, Pennsylvania will expect me to prepay my state taxes on a quarterly basis rather than waiting until the ordinary state filing each year. As a salaried employee of the organization headquartered in Maryland, isn't my employer legally obligated to arrange for the right taxes to be taken out of my paycheck rather than just what's convenient for him?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I'd just like advice from the Accountant.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 days ago.

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your employer is required to withhold taxes in state the job is located. Unless you specifically request your employer has no legal obligation to withhold your PA taxes. It is your responsibility.

PA has a reciprocity agreement with MD, which means you only need to file PA tax return (assuming no taxes were withheld for MD). You need to contact your HR department and request to have PA taxes withheld, instead of MD.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 days ago.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?