Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need help responding to a state tax lien.. Ther's a

Customer Question
I need help responding to...
I need help responding to a state tax lien
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes ther's a judgement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they're trying to garnish my wages
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
I rented an apartment in Virginia 10 years ago, then sublet my apartment. Over the subsequent 2 years, the state recorded my name on the lease, and assessed that I owed stated stated taxes on my vehicle, although neither I or my vehicle where in the state. I was living in DC, where I rented, and where my vehicle was registered. I have moved around since then, and have recently discovered that they have won a judgment for taxes owed, with a lien, and have recently requested my employer garnish my wages. I'm not sure where to start fighting, since it's been so long I don't have any documentation, but neither would they.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, Virginia believes you were a resident because of the apartment lease, so they believe you owe taxes.

My best advice would be to contact a local CPA/Enrolled Agent who can intercede on your behalf with Virginia and stop the garnishment and buy you some time. You are going to have to prove that you were not a VA resident. Can you obtain any documentation from the landlord in DC and proof that your vehicle was registered in DC? Did you register to vote in DC?

Barb

is there a statue of limitations on which Arlington County in Virginia can collect property taxes?

Property taxes or state income tax or both?

As per the question above, I am referencing property taxes assessed on a personal vehicle.

There is no statute of limitations for personal property taxes on a vehicle.

http://www.nlrg.com/hs-fs/hub/79400/file-15659366-pdf/freewps/va_statutesoflimitations2010.pdf

How long were you and your vehicle actually in Virginia? Can you obtain proof that the vehicle was registered in DC?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney