How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help responding to a state tax lien, yes ther's a

Customer Question

I need help responding to a state tax lien
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes ther's a judgement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they're trying to garnish my wages
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I rented an apartment in Virginia 10 years ago, then sublet my apartment. Over the subsequent 2 years, the state recorded my name on the lease, and assessed that I owed stated stated taxes on my vehicle, although neither I or my vehicle where in the state. I was living in DC, where I rented, and where my vehicle was registered. I have moved around since then, and have recently discovered that they have won a judgment for taxes owed, with a lien, and have recently requested my employer garnish my wages. I'm not sure where to start fighting, since it's been so long I don't have any documentation, but neither would they.
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, Virginia believes you were a resident because of the apartment lease, so they believe you owe taxes.

My best advice would be to contact a local CPA/Enrolled Agent who can intercede on your behalf with Virginia and stop the garnishment and buy you some time. You are going to have to prove that you were not a VA resident. Can you obtain any documentation from the landlord in DC and proof that your vehicle was registered in DC? Did you register to vote in DC?


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
is there a statue of limitations on which Arlington County in Virginia can collect property taxes?
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 days ago.

Property taxes or state income tax or both?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
As per the question above, I am referencing property taxes assessed on a personal vehicle.
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 days ago.

There is no statute of limitations for personal property taxes on a vehicle.

How long were you and your vehicle actually in Virginia? Can you obtain proof that the vehicle was registered in DC?