Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Amount of tax deductible if i buy a home for 540k i and my…

Amount of tax deductible...

Amount of tax deductible if i buy a home for 540k i and my wife earn around 170k.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Wanted to know the mortgage interest deductible from tax

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2017
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If your home purchase is $540K the entire amount of mortgage interest will be deductible. Other items that would be deductible would be property taxes, state tax, personal property taxes (auto registration), charitable donations.

in case of married filing jointly i get a standard deduction of 12700$ but when i buy home would i get this amount on top of the mortgage interest amount

No, you would either get the standard deduction of $12,700 or the total of your itemized deductions. Whatever amount is higher. The itemized deductions appear on schedule A of the tax return. (medical expenses, taxes, interest, charitable donations, and other misc deductions). Here is a copy of schedule A. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor