Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

IRS said the Roth IRA reported distribution was not held for…

Customer Question
IRS said the Roth...

IRS said the Roth IRA reported distribution was not held for at least 5 years. It was. I was told I needed to send in a 8606 with my 2014 tax return. How do I go about doing that so I don't own the $1785 that they say I do.

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

I have had the Roth since around 2000. I had just rolled over the account to ***** ***** in 2010.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/10/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide my initial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** standing by

What's the significance of 2010? (By the way I tried to accept the call, but there was an error of some kind on y end)

...

The 8606 is typically used for nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA, OR, received a distribution from an inherited traditional IRA that has basis, you transferred an inherited plan account to a Roth IRA, or you received a distribution from an inherited Roth IRA that wasn’t a qualified distribution

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure why the call is not going through. I switched from H&R Block to ***** ***** in 2010 or 2011. I called in 2014 to see if I could take a loan on my Roth, but they said no. I was told I could take out the amount I invested without touching the money made and not be taxed or penalized. So I did. I have not received a letter from the IRS that states the Roth had not been held for 5 years. It had, but not with ***** *****. So I was told I probably did not file an 8606 when I moved the roth from HR block to ***** *****, so that is why they think I owe the tax.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lane, are you there?