Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Payroll tax question re multi state. Company in one state

(CA), remote worker in another...
Payroll tax question re multi state. Company in one state (CA), remote worker in another (MO). Have question re setup requirements. Do i have to setup state withholding/unemployment insurance in the remote workers state also.
7/1/2017
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome and thank you for your question! I am DanielleCPA and here to help you with your tax questions.

The short answer to your question is, yes, you absolutely need to setup state withholding and unemployment insurance in the remote workers state.

You should also know that in many instances, having a remote worker in a state also creates nexus for income and sales tax (if you are subject to sales tax anyways) purposes. Depending on the specific facts and circumstances, you most likely will need to register for these taxes also. I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions you might have.

Ok. So I have to file for unemployment and state withholding but don't need to create a new company there or anything. It's a remote worker but all sales come via CA - it's just a work from home employee. Is there a negative to just having CA be his work state even though he is remote as technically we are his "office location"

All sales may come through and be "approved" in CA but MO is still his work state since he will working from his home located within the state of MO.

DanielleCPA
NPVAdvisor
NPVAdvisor, CFP Licensee and Practitioner
Phone call session started
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA